Tuesday, May 3, 2016

week 9

I read Persepolis this week, and I decided to re-read both volumes to get myself completely re-introduced to the whole reading. The thing that Persepolis always did well was how Marjane Satrapi gave the perception of the world based on the views of a very smart young girl. In the mind of a young girl, the first volume really digs into concepts of religion, death, love, everything that could make a comic take a turn for the worst, but in the way that it's perceived with our young Marjane, the content isn't so heavy.

As concepts got clearer to her, they get clearer to the reader as well. I personally enjoy reading things with the intention of losing myself and becoming the character, so in that sense as a writer Marjane was successful. As a piece of entertainment, when I read this while I was younger I enjoyed it, but now reading it with a different purpose I can appreciate it even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment